Tuesday, November 18, 2008

ch-ch-ch-ch-changes?

Last week at MOPS, we had a speaker that came to talk to us about nutrition. She talked about the importance of healthy eating, the difference between regular and organic foods, and the science behind things like hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. It was pretty interesting, to say the least. It was also a little convicting. I don't normally buy organic foods, but I do try to feed my family a healthy diet. I read labels, try to avoid excess sugar and fat, provide my kids with lots of fruits and vegetables, and teach my kids about healthy eating. We opt for fruit instead of french fries, eat lots of whole grains, and buy Morningstar Farms products on a regular basis. Until Friday, I thought I was doing an okay job (even though I knew there was plenty of room for improvement!). My eyes were really opened, though, and I've started doing my research. During my weekly shopping trip, I tried to pay attention to what I was buying. I bought natural peanut butter, organic grapes, organic lettuce, and Annie's mac and cheese (sorry blue box...you'll always have a special place in my heart!!). Today, I bought a book about organic foods, and I'm hoping to learn more so I can make an informed decision. I want my kids to be as healthy as possible. I want them to enjoy eating healthy, and I want them to make healthy choices, even when I'm not around. With all of that said, though, I do have kids. They like chicken nuggets. Sugary snacks are around every corner. They want the cereal box with Barbie on the front (don't worry...I don't give in!). I need meals that are quick, easy and healthy. And I need to be able to serve them without breaking the bank. To do all of that, I think I'm going to need some help!

So here are my questions to you...

Do you buy organic foods?
What are some healthy snack options you give your kids?
What are some healthier alternatives you have found for some traditional favorites (like substituting Annie's for Kraft!)?

I really do want to know more. But I don't just want to hear from a middle-aged author who doesn't have little kids at home to feed. I want to know the text-book stuff, but I need to know the real-life stuff, too. So, help me! I really want to know your thoughts!

2 comments:

The Norvells said...

Well I don't have kids, but I can weigh in on the Organic Bandwagon. I too, would like to buy organic, but our teachers salary income doesn't really allow for it very often. When I thought about it, though, I remembered that I wasn't raised on organic, didn't have natural PB or cage free chicken, and ya know what, I'm pretty healthy (if I do say so myslef). Now, I know my feelings will probablly change when our bank account changes and when I have little mouths to feed, but in reality, if I use myself as an example, bring on the pesticides and chemicals :>).

karen richardson said...

I forgot to mention...
My boys are weird about mac-n-cheese - I've tried Annie's but they won't eat it! I wish they would though. A favorite lunch for them is a toasted cheese sandwich and a yummy orgnanic tomato soup.