Saturday, March 21, 2009

BFFs

Practically since birth, the girls have had best friends. If you spend much time around them, you'll figure it out pretty quickly. No, I'm not just talking about each other. That goes without saying. They each have another best friend. Nanny and Pop. Just ask, and they'll always tell you the same thing. Grace will answer, without hesitation, that her best friend is Pop. Catherine will enthusiastically tell you her best friend is Nanny. And they aren't kidding. These two girls love their best friends! It's pretty cute, to say the least.

Usually, nothing makes my two girls happier than hearing that they are going to spend the night with their best friends. Yesterday, though, when I told Grace that there was a sleepover planned for tonight, she wasn't excited. She didn't go nuts like she usually does, and she didn't even crack a smile. In fact, she almost started to cry.

I was completely stunned, and asked her why she wasn't happy. Did she not want to spend the night over there? Was she scared? Was she sick? Was she going to miss me? (Okay...I knew that wasn't it, but it never hurts to ask, right?)

It was none of that. She was sad because she didn't think Pop was going to be there. My dad, Pop, was out of town the other night, and she didn't realize he was back. She didn't want to go without him. (No offense, Mom! If Catherine had been awake, I know she would have been ecstatic!)

She perked right up when I told her Pop was back. Once she knew he would be there, she couldn't wait to go!

I asked her if she wanted to go, now that she knew Pop would be there.

"Yes!" She said. "But Mommy, I really miss my best friend when he's gone!"

Awww...I understand!

4 comments:

SouthernDogwoods said...

Awww! What a sweet story! My girls are the same way with my parents! Grandparents are the Best!

Great picture!

Jodee said...

What a cute story! My kids would agree that grandparents make the best friends! I hope the girls enjoy their sleepover!

Annie said...

Lovely story. My girls also love my parents. They have a lot fun with they (specially with my mom).

I hope the girls enjoy their sleepovers.

Have a great weekend.

The Allens said...

This was a great post, but I also loved the sheer honesty of the one before it. Tomorrow is my first solo day and I'm going to call you to catch up.