Monday, July 28, 2008

unfinished business

We made our weekly trip to Wal-Mart today, but we have very little to show for it. It just wasn't a good day. Things were going well for a little bit, then went downhill very quickly. About a third of the way through the trip, I called it quits. I'd had enough, and we were going home. How did this solve the problem? Not sure. I was just done. We headed to the front to pay for what little we had managed to get, and out of 23 check-outs, only TWO were open. Seriously?! TWO?!?!? Grace was doing fine, even apologizing for her sister's behavior and the fact that we were having to leave. Catherine, on the other hand, was not fine. And she let everyone around us know it. So, after waiting for what seemed like an eternity, it was our turn. Grace continued to apologize and explain to the cashier why we were leaving. Catherine just continued to demonstrate why we were leaving and provided plenty of reasons for Grace to apologize. It wasn't pretty. I could barely look the cashier in the eye for fear that I might burst into tears. I actually did when we hit the parking lot. Things have settled down, but I'm still on the verge of tears. Why? Because we still have to go back to Wal-Mart for the rest of our groceries!!!! Maybe next time they'll at least have three check-outs open!

1 comment:

karen richardson said...

Oh, I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience. It had to be so frustrating. I know how difficult it is just to get out the door, loaded up, into the store,etc, and the thought of going back? Ugh!

You may already do these things, but these are some of my "tricks" with my boys...
1. I try to go when it's snack time so they stay occupied with food
2. I use the double cart at Wal-Mart - the big one that attaches to the front of the cart - they like to sit up and see what's going on and to speed around the aisles like a race car!
3. I try to involve them in my shopping - talk to them about what I'm buying, have then help me with the produce, etc
4. If they start to get restless, I will take them to the toy/book section to distract them. And sometimes (this is kinda bad) I will let them hold a toy in the cart and play with it until we check out. I tell the cashier I am not planning to purchase the toy and then at the very last moment I hand it to her and quickly dart out of the store. If they cry, at least is just a few seconds!
Hope you have a better day today!